Please see our NEW and IMPROVED TH&VS Course Calendar! Click the link below!
Student Services (Guidance)
Guidance and counselling services at Timmins High serve students by providing them with counselling and support in educational choices, career goals, and personal concerns. In addition, Student Services acts in a consultative and supportive role to parents and staff.
Educational Counselling – we support students in the following areas:
- appropriate high school course choices and resolution of timetable problems
- difficulties in learning, studying, or time management
- educational plans appropriate to abilities, interests, and goals
- college or university research and the post-secondary application process
- information about financial assistance for post-secondary education through Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), scholarships, etc.
Career Counselling – we support students in the following areas:
- explore potential career options
- determine suitability for various careers using a variety of resources
- find sources of information on careers (internet and text based)
- facilitate college and university representatives to visit our school including the university and college information programs
- use programs such as coop and the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) to further their first-hand knowledge of the world of work
- providing information about part/full-time or summer work
- additional learning opportunities after high school
Personal Counselling – we support students in the following areas:
- act as a liason between students, teachers and parent
- assist with any personal concerns and explore alternatives and/or solutions
- offer community resources where needed
- coordinate referrals to Child and Youth Worker and other support personnel
Other Guidance Services
Other guidance services are directed towards providing communication to all those involved in the student's education. Through direct contact, parent-teacher interviews, and other special programs, guidance counsellors are available to parents/guardians for consultation throughout the year.
In addition to meeting with elementary school students and parent/guardians and assisting in course selection, guidance counsellors also assist in the orientation of grade 9 students to the school.
Students much complete 40 hours or volunteer services.
Course Selection Information